Why do people put up backyard ponds and waterfalls? Some people would find this just a bit too wasteful of resources. Some would think that putting up a backyard pond and waterfall would be equal to showing off. However, you need to know that people who put up backyard ponds and waterfalls do so for very good reasons.
1) Relaxation – there’s something about watching the crystalline water flow from a waterfall that just outs a person’s mind at ease. People can spend hours staring at the flowing water and not even feel the time go by.
The sight of a backyard pond and waterfall would have been enough to relax any person, but the sound is just unbelievable. Although large waterfalls emit a roar of sound, backyard ponds and waterfalls actually sing. This fluid lullaby achieves the effect of coaxing the tired spirit to rest. Relaxation is a luxury oft ignored by man in his quest to succeed in life. However, you should know that the man who oft relaxes can work harder than he who does not rest at all.
2) Recreation – some people may consider relaxation as being similar to recreation. However, you should know that there is a world of difference between them.
When people get a backyard pond and waterfall for recreation, it means that people have them for fun. Fun, in this case, may not necessarily involve a physical action. In fact, a person can have fun just watching the ripples caused by the backyard waterfall on the pond. Some people know that you can have lots of fun with a backyard pond and waterfall.
Backyard ponds and waterfalls used to be for the rich and famous but that’s not the case anymore. You can find complete kits at many retailers or get instructions that show you step by step how to build a pond in your backyard. Backyard pond kits are available in a variety of sizes and prices that make it easy for anyone to have one. Although the kits may be affordable you may still want to build your own.
1. Deciding how you are going to supply electricity may dictate where you build your backyard pond. You should consider digging a small trench to protect your electrical cord from the pond to the electrical source.
2. Although it is not necessary to add fish to your pond most people want to. If you will be adding fish and plants, let the plants settle for about a week before adding your fish. Be careful not to put in too many fish.
3. Avoid placing your pond in a low spot of the yard to avoid runoff water getting dirt in the water.
4. Use a garden hose or some string to measure and layout your pond design before you start digging.
5. Don’t skimp on quality when it comes to buying a liner. The liner is the main component to your pond. A good liner will keep your pond running at peak performance.
6. Use caution when digging in your yard. You will need to know if there are any buried lines or pipes where you will be digging. Once you have dug the area you can start placing the parts and drainage system.
7. Check to make sure the filters, lights and water supply are properly placed and working well.
8. When you begin filling the pond you should not leave it unattended. Check for leaks and shifting as the pond fills.
9. Once you have everything set you can add the plants and let them settle for about a week. After the plants have set you can begin adding fish. Take care not to add too many fish and don’t add them all at once.
Backyard ponds and other water features create a peaceful environment. The sound of running water is soothing and they make a wonderful focal point. An attractive, well maintained pond or fountain can inspire a good conversation with guests.
You can learn how to build a pond in your backyard with instructions that are easy to find in books or on the internet. If you have questions as you build you could call a local garden center and they should be familiar with pond installation. If you are not the kind of build it yourself person, you won’t be disappointed with the ponds that are available. You will still have to decide where to put it and dig the hole.
Belinda Nelson is a free lance copywriter who enjoys writing on subjects that enhance family life. Each article is carefully researched and put together to provide useful information. Learn more about creating a peaceful home garden area and enhancing the beauty of your home by using bird baths and water fountains [http://www.hiddentreasuresdirect.com/] by visiting: [http://www.hiddentreasuresdirect.com/] Be sure to sign up for your free gift!
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6140803